The national curriculum for design and technology aims to ensure that all pupils:
- develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world
- build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high-quality prototypes and products for a wide range of users
- critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others
- understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook.
Design and Technology at St George College involves developing new products/prototypes through a variety of practical activities. Students work with a variety of materials and develop new practical skills throughout KS3.
In years 7 & 8 students will work on projects in the following areas:
- Food Technology
- Resistant Materials
- Systems and Control
- Graphic Products
- Google Sketchup & Photoshop
- Product Design
The curriculum at St George has been developed to prepare the students for the option choices they have to make, for study in Year 9. It is hoped that students will be able to make an informed choice based upon their experience in the department. Students who opt for Design Technology in Year 9 will gain the essential key skills required for their final exam in KS4, which is GCSE Product Design.
Design and Technology curriculum Map Years 7 & 8